Ms. 63 Dawit Ṣalota Nabiyāt, Weddasé Māryām, Anqaṣa Berhān, Malek’ā Gāber᾽él
- Ms. 63 Dawit Ṣalota Nabiyāt, Weddasé Māryām, Anqaṣa Berhān, Malek’ā Gāber᾽él
- Alternative title
Image of Gabriel
The Gate of the Light
Praise of Mary
Psalter and Canticles of New and Old Testaments
- Uniform title
- Date Created
- 17th c.
- Place of Origin
- Ethiopic Manuscripts
The first quire (pp 1-16) missing.
On the upper margin of page 21 there are notes written in Amharic. The notes are indications of a medico-magical use of certain Psalms. Also, there are Ethiopian musical notations in some parts of the Psalms.
Parts of one quire (including pp. 313 on the Praises of Mary) are inserted incorrectly in the manuscript. They appear earlier than they should. This misplacement probably happened in Ethiopia when the very old manuscript was rebound.
Layout: one column on vellum; 19 lines of text per page. Praise of Mary and Gate of the light in two columns 19 lines of text per page.
The manuscript is composed of quires of eight leaves each.
Text in black ink, some names and titles of the chapters are in red.
Pages 346 (started from page 17 assuming the first missing quire is eight leaves.
- Table of contents
- (Pp. 17-268) Book of Psalm መዝሙረ ዳዊት ; Fifteen biblical canticles መኀልየ ነቢያት ወጸሎቶሙ ለሙሴ ; Canticles of the Prophets and prayer of Moses : 1. First song of Moses ; 2. Second song of Moses ; Title: ጸሎተ ሙሴ ዘዳግም ሕግ ; Prayer of Moses of the Second Law ; 3. Third song of Moses ; Title: ጸሎተ ሙሴ ዘሣልስ ሕግ Tsalota Muse zasales heg. Prayer of Moses of the Third Law ; 4. Song of Hannah ; Title: ጸሎተ ሃና እመ ሳሙኤል ; Prayer of Hannah, the mother of Samuel ; 5. Prayer of Hezekiah ; Title: ጸሎተ ሕዝቅያስ ንጉሠ ይሁዳ ; Prayer of Hezekiah King of Judea ; 6. Prayer of Manasseh ; Title: ጸሎተ ምናሴ ነቢይ ; Prayer of Mennase the Prophet ; 7. Prayer of Jonah ; ጸሎተ ዮናስ ነቢይ ; Prayer of Jonah the Prophet ; 8. Prayer of Daniel ; Title: ጸሎተ ዳንኤል ነቢይ ወስብሐት ዘእምአዛርያ ; Prayer of Daniel and Praise of Azariah ; 9. First Song of the Three Children ; Title: ጸሎተ ሠለስቱ ደቂቅ ; Tsalota Salasetu Dakqiq ; Prayer of the Three Children ; 10. Second Song of the Three Children ; Title: ኀበ ባረኩ አናንያ አዛርያ ወሚሳኤል ; When Ananiah Azariah and Misael Praised God ; 11. Song of Habakkuk ; Title: ጸሎተ ዕንባቆም ነቢይ ; Prayer of Habakkuk the Prophet ; 12. Song of Isaiah ; Title: ጸሎተ ኢሳይያስ ነቢይ Prayer of Isaiah the Prophet ; 13. Song of the Virgin Mary ; Title: ጸሎተ እግዝእትነ ማርያም ; Prayer of our Lady Virgin Mary ; 14. Song of Zachariah ; Title: ጸሎተ ዘካርያስ ነቢይ ; Prayer of Zachrariah the Prophet ; 15. Song of Simeon ; Title: Tsalota Seme'on Nabiy ; ጸሎተ ስምዖን ነቢይ ; Prayer of Simeon the Prophet ; Song of Songs of Solomon ;Praises of Mary (Weddase Mariyam) for the days: Monday, pp. 311-313 ; Tuesday, pp. 313 (pages inserted earlier in rebinding mentioned above) ;Gate of Light (Ankatsa berehan)Parts of the hymn: Image of St. Gabriel (Malkea Gaberel) ; Short prayer: Lord God We Put Our Trust on You እግዚአብሔር እግዚእ ተማኅፀነ ብከ ; Short canon about the equinoxes ; Part of the Litany of Vespers ሊጦን ዘሠርክ ; Parts of the hymn: Image of Hannah (the Mother of St. Mary or Samuel).
- 346 pages
- 140 mm x 120 mm x 78 mm
- Vellum and wooden boards
- Binding note
- Wooden boards.
- Condition note
- The front board is broken and sewn.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Ms. 63
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Rights contact
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4971