Congregation of the Hamilton Methodist Episcopal Church, Los Angeles, 1930-1960
- Congregation of the Hamilton Methodist Episcopal Church, Los Angeles, 1930-1960
- Alternative title
- "Churches, Negro in Los Angeles" from Binder compiled by Miriam Matthews
- Date Created
- Miriam Matthews Photograph Collection
The Hamilton M. E. Church of Los Angeles was formed in 1904. It was originally named the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church and changed the name in 1952 to the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Historically, the church denomination was a trailblazer in their support of women’s professional development and leadership roles in organizing church missions and in the ministry. The church has its roots in evangelicalism, and has maintained that connection throughout its history.
Group portrait of the congregation of Hamilton M.E. Church (E. 18th St. and Naomi Ave.) with approximately 60 African Americans arranged in a semi-circle in front of the church. On the wall there is a plaque displaying church related information.
- 1 photograph