Manuscript No. 31: Ritual Book, A.D. 1830
- Manuscript No. 31: Ritual Book, A.D. 1830
- Uniform title
- Date Created
- 1830, A.D.
- Armenian Manuscripts
- The codex is a defective copy of the Ritual Book (Mashtots’) of the Armenain Church. Its principle divisions are as follows:Fols. 1-32. Canon of baptism.Fol. 32v. Canon of presentation of a forty-day-old child in the church. (Only a single page of this text has survived.)Fols. 33-48. [Canon of marriage.] (The beginning of the text, as well as pages 101-106, 11-116, and 120-126, according to the original pagination, are missing.)Fols. 48-60. Canon of removal of the marriage crown. (Pages 154-161 and 163-166, according to the original pagination, are missing.)Fols. 60v-61. (An untitled song not related to the Ritual Book.)
- Text in notragir, written by three different hands in one column: fols. 1-32 have 18 lines each, and fols. 33-59 have 13-15 lines each. Subtitles in red notragir or bolorgir, and initials throughout the codex in red notragir capitals. The quires are not numbered. Because of the many lacunae in the codex, the number of leaves in the gatherings cannot be determined.
- There are no colophons in the codex; hence its provenance is unknown . At the end of the text on fol. 60, however, we find the date 30 Adam (= May 19) 1830, which must be the date on which the writing of the book was completed. Based on the Persian month-name Adam, we can assume that the codex was written in Iran, probably in New Julfa.Fols. 22v and 29 have the identical signature of an individual named Vardan Xalawertian; the first signature is accompanied by the date December 12, 1925, and the second December 1, 1925. We also find the signature of Yarut’iwn Hayrapet Yarit’iwnian on fol. 61v. We can perhaps assume that these individuals once owned the book. Finally, there is an illegible seal with Persian script on fol. 60. We learn from a notation in pencil on fol. 61 that Dr. Minasian purchased the book on September 19, 1961 from an individual named Haxnatur.
- 61 folios
- 12x9.5 cm.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Copyright Status
- public domain
- No license recorded