South Gate float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, Pasadena, 1939
- South Gate float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, Pasadena, 1939
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- January 2, 1939
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
South Gate's Rose Parade float theme was "Memories in Music" and featured sounds from a large floral harp, recorder, and trumpets.
The 1939 Tournament of Roses theme was Golden Jubilee to mark the 50th anniversary of the parade. Shirley Temple served as Grand Marshal.
Different photographs taken on the same occasion appear with the article, "Romance and Fantasy Feature Spectacle," Los Angeles Times, 03 Jan 1939: 3, 12.
A multi-tiered float features ten women. In the center, Mrs. Joseph Parr "playing" the harp, Patricia Shaw seated in the back, and behind her two trumpeters, Donna Mullenger and Saraine Furie. The six other women on the float are, in no order: Josephine Larusso, Leona M. Roberts, Jeanne Hutchens, Mary Henderson, Gloria Crocker, and Dorothy Brown.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Parades & processions--California--Pasadena
Parr, Joseph, (Mrs.)
Tournament of Roses
- Pasadena (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds. and Access to this collection is generously supported by Haynes Foundation funds.
- Copyright Status
- Rights Country
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- No license recorded