Joseph Mesmer, Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara at the banquet at the Kawafuku Cafe for the 2nd annual Nisei festival, Los Angeles, 1935
- Joseph Mesmer, Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara at the banquet at the Kawafuku Cafe for the 2nd annual Nisei festival, Los Angeles, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- August 13, 1935
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Joseph Mesmer wears the same suit and award ribbon in a photograph taken at the Nisei festival banquet on 8/13, 1935, published in the Los Angeles Times on 8/14/1936.
Joseph Mesmer (left), Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara on the night of the banquet of the Nisei festival at the Kawafuku Cafe (then located at the intersection of S. Los Angeles St., E. 1st St. and Weller). Mesmer and Franklin wear ribbons of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County. The banquet honored members of this historical society and prominent elder members of the Los Angeles Japanese community. Joseph Mesmer was a guest of honor at the Nisei festival [Los Angeles Times 8/13/1935].
The first year of the Nisei festival was 1934. The term Nisei was used to signify the second generation, or American-born Japanese who were American citizens. The festival is now  known as Nisei Week. In 1935 the second annual Nisei festival included a banquet, fashion shows, an ondo (folk dance), kendo contests, a pageant tracing Japanese history, flower and tea ceremonies and a parade.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Kawafuku (Restaurant : Los Angeles, Calif.)
Franklin, Mary, 1847-1943
Nisei Week (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Mesmer, Joseph, 1855-1947
Historical Society of Southern California and of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County
Sugahara, Kay, 1909-1988
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.